Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fit For A Queen: Custom Ring with Imperial Topaz




Robby emailed me regarding an Imperial Topaz he purchased near the Ouro Preto mines of Minas Gerais, Brazil, a primary source for this rare variety. He asked for my help in using the stone to create a ring for his daughter (and my dear friend) Jamie’s birthday in July. Robby gave me artistic license with the ring -- once the marquise shaped topaz arrived, I began by arranging potential layouts and sketching designs.



Long prized for its luxurious golden-sherry hues, this coveted gem was once reserved for ruling powers and thereby considered ‘imperial’.  To accent stone, I chose pink Sapphire (also referred to as light red Ruby) for its complementary hue and significance as Jamie’s birthstone.  Jamie lives in Denver and is active outdoors, and I wanted the design to reflect her style and sensibilities.  Robby’s reply affirmed my intention "Design is perfect. I love it. It begs for 18 karat don't you think?”  I did.  With his approval, I cast and finished the ring.  
Ancient Greeks believed Imperial Topaz’s fiery properties strengthened the mind, encouraging self -realization and confidence. Jamie experienced a devastating loss last year, and I admire the courage, acceptance & strength she has shown on the journey that has followed. Upon receiving the ring, Robby wrote "Thank you for your artistry and assistance -I am going to suggest to her that this ring is a symbol of new beginnings.  It has been crafted with love from true friendship as well as love from family; therefore, it will be her talisman for a bright and promising future."







No comments:

Post a Comment