Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Change Of Seasons

Once upon a time, I lived in New York City. My parents’ visits would inevitably include shopping, and they would typically have any purchases shipped to avoid excess baggage. While noting the shipping address at 57 East 57th Street, a salesperson would often interject “Ahhh yesss. The Four Seasons.” My mother would respond with a smile (enjoying the assumption) and kindly correct them in saying they lived in Indianapolis, Indiana, not New York.

Four generations of Faileys have called 57 East 57th Street home since my great-grandmother built the house in 1928. My parents are moving on to a new address, and I recently went home to help pack and prepare for the transition. In doing so, I found comfort in finding memorabilia reflecting the fact that in 82 years, the apples have not fallen far from the Family Tree…

Issues Of VOGUE From 1910's

Collection Of Minerals For General Gemology

Assorted Books

Self Portrait, Marker On Construction Paper, 1986

So the Seasons change. Yesterday we packed the last of the important pieces we will carry with our family legacy. And the Tree was happy…


1984--2010

No comments:

Post a Comment